We are into the final chapter of Frosts book on the magic 5, and the topic of 'accountabilty' is taken out for a run in this chapter.
My hope is that it runs away.
'Accountability' is an idea that belongs in business and formal organisation structures. Not in the church (aside from formal roles where one having taken a role is accountable to the church as a whole or the nominating committee on the basis of what one has promised to do, but that's another matter).
It is also an idea that finds a home in legalism and flourishes in cults.
But how do Christians relate to each other?
- Encourage one another: 1 Thessalonians 5:11, Hebrews 3:13
- Bear one another's burdens: Galatians 6: 1-2
- Show the fruit of the spirit: Galatians 5:22-23
- Not under compulsion: 1 Peter 5:2
- Don't judge within the church: 1 Corinthians 5:12
- Hope all things: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
I don't get a flavour of 'accountable' anywhere here!