Thursday, August 27, 2026

ICE training?

A friend and recently discussed the woeful track record of the (evangelical) church in equipping members with any capability for personal evangelism.

I suggested that one issue here is that the bar is set to high both by the church generally and in people's minds.

But the bar can be quite low. Greg Koukl regards it as 'putting a stone' in someone's shoe. Just get them thinking.

At least if people have answers to the 7 Basic Questions of Christians we would have a start, but also, the 'evangelism' task can be simplified.

On the back of the 7BQ, training/mentoring in what I'd call Incidental Conversational Evangelism would be simpler: encouraging participation would be the biggest challenge, but modelling by a church's elders and stewards of specific ministry efforts would be a start-up strategy.

I'm auditing a course called Overflowing Faith which seems to offer well thought out approaches to spring a 'gospel-pointing' conversation from any conversation that is 'within range' of being so pointed. 

It is presented in three two-hour sessions, so easily delivered.

 It could also be done in a day including simulated conversations, but I think the one session a week format is educationally better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be published entirely at the blog-master's discretion.